Topic-icon About songs (and celebrations) concerning wars :

More
1 month 1 day ago #4441 by Michel A

Moi, celles ..."que je préfère" sont (for the clear-sightedness the pessimism of its dark irony unfortunately reveals) G B's GUERRE DE 14-18 and (for the powerful accuracy of its so sober contents) J T's THE REMEMBRANCE : 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #4442 by Pam

I agree about The Remembrance; everyone should hear that.
As for Brassens "Guerre 14 - 18" I think our own Ian Burdon translated this and sang at at one of the early Jakefests, but I don't remember it as well as I'd like to.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #4444 by Malcy

Hi, All.

Pam is correct - Ian Burdon did indeed translate Tonton Georges' "Guerre De 14-18" and made a far more accurate, funny and satirical job of it than Flanders and Swann did : so much so that I have "collected"* the lyrics from him and do it myself. ;o)

Rather than hog the obvious war-related classics and deprive other posters of the chance of raising them, one of my favourites is Bertold Brecht's "The Wife Of The Soldier" as performed by Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick on "Byker Hill". It's here.

Another one Martin Carthy does beautifully is Maggie Holland's "Perfumes Of Arabia" from "Skin and Bone", where the real reason behind the Gulf Wars may arguably be found.

* "collected" is the correct folk singer euphemism for the more common phrase "pinched". :o)

Eranu !
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Malcy.

More
2 weeks 13 hours ago #4446 by Pam

Have you got a recording of you or Ian singing this, Malcy? Would be lovely to hear it again.

Pam

More
2 weeks 4 hours ago #4447 by Malcy

I minidisc'ed all those early JakeFests so I should have a copy somewhere. i'll square it with Ian and dig it out !

Eranu !

More
1 week 3 days ago #4448 by Michel A

Hello Pam and Malcy and thanks for taking part - and for the videos !
I have known for a few years that Ian is one of the authors of the numerous adaptations of scores of GB's songs in different languages : In 2013 I found out for Les Amis de Georges and Auprès de Son Arbre that there were English versions of over 70 of them … and as many as 4 or 5 different ones for some songs !
Regarding La Guerre de 14-18 I don't know of any others than Flanders and Swann's (that was written very shortly after the original song) and Ian's.
If either he or you, Malcy (I love your statement that "collected" is the correct folk singer euphemism for the more common phrase "pinched" ! …) could post a video of the latter here that would be un joli cadeau de Noël indeed !

Time to create page: 0.435 seconds