Topic-icon Fond memories

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #4458 by Duke154

I'm a new member here and just wanted to post a bit of input and to ask a query.
I used to enjoy going to listen to Jake at Poynton Folk Centre on Park Lane, Poynton during the mid 70's but I notice this venue doesn't feature on the gig list. Poynton Folk Club would usually hold around 150-200 people so a larger venue and I saw Jake there 3 times. The Centre used to have folk singing on Thursdays and the main event was a Sunday. Jake was that good I always chose to miss my bus home so as to catch the last couple of songs and any encores before setting out on my 5 mile walk. His guitar style and use of English were totally unique and his way of showing complete embarrassment about being appreciated. I have since bought the DvD as I only had well played Live Performance and Bantam Cock vinyl records to remind me of his phenomenal talent and this collection on the DvD brings it all back again. Superb!
Can anyone tell me where Jake was raised and if there is a family grave marking his last resting place? If I was ever in the area I would like to pay respects.
Thanks
Jamie Evans

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #4459 by mark sturdy

Hi Jamie - enjoyed reading your recollections. To answer your questions, Jake was born in a village called Clifford near Tadcaster, and grew up in Leeds. I'm not sure where his grave is, but suspect somewhere around Monmouth, where he spent the last 30 years of his life.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #4460 by Duke154

Many thanks for your reply Mark, Monmouth is a really nice town in a gorgeous part of the country, I canoed down part of the river Wye earlier this year a bit further north near Hereford but similar countryside. Jake is in a fitting spot if that is where he is at rest. One more thing I recalled which made us laugh was the line Jake used regularly after second encores "haven't you got any homes to go to." A great character that I will never ever forget.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #4461 by parched

Hi,
Just noticed your post.
Only pop into the site occasionally, since there's not a lot of updates.
His grave is at Welsh Newton churchyard near Monmouth.
If you manage to call by there anytime give him my respects...!!!
Agree about the DVD, by the way.
Only ever saw him live once in Bingley, West Yorkshire.
The BBC were recording that night and I'm convinced I can here my wife's laughter in the background of "The Bull".
Maybe just a bit of wishful thinking though?
Cheers and have a truly splendiferous New Year...!!!
Bill Blackmore

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #4463 by Duke154

Hi Bill and thanks for your reply to my post. I expect I will be around Monmouth sometime this year so will make efforts to find Jake and of course will pass on your regards. Jake really was a one off and a singer I associate with my youth. There are no substitutes for him even now. All the best for 2019 and enjoy Bingley it is a super town.
Regards
Jamie

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #4462 by Duke154

Hi Bill and thanks for your reply to my post. I expect I will be around Monmouth sometime this year so will make efforts to find Jake and of course will pass on your regards. Jake really was a one off and a singer I associate with my youth. There are no substitutes for him even now. All the best for 2019 and enjoy Bingley it is a super town.
Regards
Jamie

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds